Your name, address and date of birth are all the information an identity thief needs to open accounts, take out credit cards and apply for benefits in your name. To reduce the risk of of identity theft and protect your personal information, you should:
- Store any documents that display your personal information—such as your driving licence, passport, bank statements, utility bills or credit card transaction receipts—in a secure place.
- Shred or destroy old documents that include your name, address or other personal details.
- Monitor your credit report and regularly check your bank statements for suspicious activity
- Redirect your mail when you move to a new address by contacting Royal Mail.
- Be cautious when making online purchases.
If you think you are a victim of identity theft or fraud, act quickly to report all lost or stolen documents and ensure that you are not responsible for any financial losses.
Content by Zywave, Inc. Provided by TH March.