According to the Mental Health Foundation, mental health problems are the cause of approximately 12.7 per cent of all sickness absence days among UK employees. Additionally, nearly 15 per cent of employees said they have experienced mental health problems within their workplaces.
With this information in mind, it’s clear that mental health is equally as important in the workplace as physical health. Fortunately, there are steps employees like you can take to promote proper mental health and stress management. Consider following these measures:
- Take part in events sponsored by your organisation that teach participants techniques to improve their mental health.
- Participate in opportunities to attend any training sessions that focus on stress management, ways to deal with unacceptable behaviours in the workplace and best practices for supporting struggling colleagues.
- Consider sharing personal stories with colleagues to help eliminate any stigmas in the workplace.
- Be empathetic and supportive when a colleague discusses their mental health or other personal experiences.
- Embrace behaviours that encourage stress management and support your mental health, such as:
- Eating a balanced diet
- Exercising regularly
- Getting plenty of sleep each night
- Taking mindfulness classes
- Practising yoga or meditation
- Speaking up when you feel overwhelmed
Content © 2021 Zywave, Inc. All rights reserved. Provided by TH March.