Autumn is a beautiful time, but it also means that winter is on its way. There are many key responsibilities that homeowners must be aware of at this time of year, such as:
- Clearing gutters and downpipes. These should be inspected and cleared frequently throughout the autumn to prevent build-up of leaves or other debris. Neglecting this can lead to costly repairs and pest infestations.
- Inspecting windows and doors. Take time to assess windows and doors for any loose or damaged frames. Weatherstripping and caulking can limit drafts, which may result in lower heating bills.
- Assessing heating systems. Have a qualified professional inspect heating systems in your home to ensure they will last through the winter and to detect any minor issues that could become expensive repairs.
- Considering pipes. Cold temperatures can lead to freezing water and burst pipes. Turn off, drain and disconnect any outdoor faucets and check that your pipes are properly insulated.
- Testing equipment. Take time in autumn to ensure that essential winter equipment, such as your snow blower, is operating.
Content © 2021 Zywave, Inc. All rights reserved. Provided by TH March.