One of the most comfortable ways to pass the cold and dark nights of winter is by enjoying your home’s fireplace. However, while enjoying the warmth and ambiance of a fire, it’s necessary to ensure the safety of your home and family.
If you plan to use a fireplace this winter, take these precautions:
- Check the chimney. Smoke and sparks must be able to exit your home safely. Make sure that you have your chimney swept regularly.
- Use the right fuel. Never use flammable liquids, such as petrol or paraffin, to light your fire. Wood should have a moisture content of 17 per cent or less.
- Consider surroundings. It’s important to use a proper fireguard to block sparks and hot embers. In addition, avoid hanging clothes or other flammable materials near a fireplace.
- Extinguish properly. Before going to bed or leaving your home, be certain that any remaining embers are fully contained and guarded.
- Be prepared. Ensure that you have enough smoke alarms throughout your home and regularly check that they are working correctly.
© 2021 Zywave, Inc. All rights reserved.