Whether your collection is large or small, storing your jewellery safely and securely will help you get even more enjoyment from your precious items.
You may take great care when it comes to buying a piece of jewellery, but how well do you look after it once it’s yours? Properly organising and securely storing your collection will help keep it safe and reduce the risk of damage and deterioration. Not only that, but a well organised jewellery collection makes it quicker and easier to lay your hands on that perfect piece when you want to wear it.
Decluttering your collection
When did you last go through your entire jewellery collection? Do you wear everything you own? Is each piece special to you? Decluttering your jewellery can help you focus on the items you love most. You might even rediscover some forgotten treasures when you clear through your collection.
There are many decluttering methods, but you could take the following approach:
- Remove any items you no longer want to keep. You can then get them valued at a later date and decide whether you would like to sell them or give them away.
- Identify any items that are broken or in need of a clean. Focus on returning those pieces to their former glory so you can start to wear them again.
- Decide how you would like to store your collection.
This would also be a good moment to get any particularly special pieces valued so they are properly insured. We recommend a valuation at least every three years. Fluctuating precious metal and gemstone prices mean the value of items can change significantly over time. If your insurer knows the current value of your pieces, this will help you get a like-for-like replacement should the worst happen.
Keeping your prized possessions secure
Whatever the value of a piece of jewellery, if you love it, you will want to keep it safe and secure. It is incredibly sad to lose a sentimental piece, such as a family heirloom or a gift from a loved one.
Very high value items may need to be kept in a safety deposit box away from your property. If you are storing jewellery at home, make sure your property is secure.
Remember, your jewellery might not be adequately covered by your home insurance, as most policies have a cap on jewellery and watch values. You may need specialist insurance to protect your most prized possessions.
Protecting your jewellery against damage
Jewellery should be kept out of direct sunlight. Storing your collection in a box will also ensure it does not get dusty. It is important to keep jewellery in dry conditions, particularly silver pieces that can easily tarnish. Felt is often used in jewellery boxes and pouches because it absorbs excess moisture, which can cause tarnishing.
If jewellery is thrown together in a box, there is a risk of damage. The National Association of Jewellers has some great advice on protecting your jewellery.
A few simple steps can help protect precious pieces:
- Store pieces separately to avoid chains tangling together.
- Gemstones can scratch, causing damage to other pieces. Because they are so hard, it is especially important to prevent diamonds from touching other jewellery. A felt pouch or silver polishing cloth is ideal for a diamond ring, earrings or necklace.
- Choose a jewellery box with compartments or drawers to keep items separate and avoid damage.
Enjoying your jewellery collection
Beautiful storage brings out the best in a jewellery collection. While each piece is stunning on its own, the right presentation will help you appreciate the beauty of your entire collection.
Whether you opt for ultra-modern storage or an antique jewellery box, there is something to suit every style of décor. Some companies now also offer bespoke jewellery boxes, designed to your exact specifications.
When it comes to organising your pieces, think about what makes most sense to you:
- Grouping your collection into earrings, necklaces, bracelets, brooches and watches makes it very easy to find the pieces you want to wear.
- Sorting your jewellery by gemstone or metal type is a wonderful way to see complementary items together and really appreciate your collection.
- Grouping jewellery of different eras or styles can help you accessorise an outfit and enjoy building your specialist collection.
Taking a little extra care will help you really enjoy your collection. It will also give you peace of mind that you are doing all you can to keep your prized possessions secure and in good condition.